Find local Iranian's ( and sometimes not Iranian) News in Seattle, Portlans,Vancouver on the 'Northwest Iranians' website. We've put together the most popular concerts, festivals, kids events, jobs, local news and more..
Sepideh Raissadat's concert for Feb 1st at UW has been cancelled. She was denied re-entry to the U.S. after traveling to British Columbia.
Department of Ethnomusicology is confident we will be able to reschedule the performance for a date in the near future.
Lecturer, Persian and Iranian Studies
Campus Mail: Box No. 353120
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-3120
What Did We Learn These Past Two Weeks
1. The Iranian-American community can be mobilized quickly but not always effectively. A group was created around a cause (this FB page, HR158) and 120,000 people signed on. That is very good. But only 1/3 of them bothered to sign a petition that regardless of whether the President signed the bill or not (he now has) would send a protest signal to the White House. Friends you cannot swim without getting wet: you want action you need to take action –clever posts and comments are not enough. (btw you can still sign the petition until Jan. 11th.)
2. To be effective we need both united grassroots voices and, also effective one-on-one dialogue with top policy makers by those members of our community who have access. Both methods are effective and essential. Our community is maturing and we are learning how the game is played. Over the years IAs have supported and raised funds for both Democratic and Republican candidates and have developed relationships. While grassroots mobilization is best done through the social media, the one-on-one lobbying is done quietly without much fanfare and publicity. You may not have seen or heard it these past two weeks but it was done.
3. This fight is not over yet. There is wiggle room on how this law is going to be implemented.
4. We need to support all organizations that represent us. These past two weeks PAAIA, NIAC & ACLU have been working hard on our behalf. While I am active within PAAIA I commend NIAC for the great work that they do. We need everybody.
5. But unfortunately we also do have the do-nothing mudslingers whose only contribution to our community has been through labeling people. Their favorite? Calling anyone who does not support their delusional pursuit “IRI sympathizers or agents”. Little people with little minds. I for one dismiss them.
6. This is not the last discrimination act we are going to fight. Unfortunately America is vey much polarized now with a large segment of population being riled up through fear mongering to take hostile position against minorities based on race, ethnicity, religion and nationality. We cannot tolerate that.
Some final thoughts …..
America — I do not consider myself a guest in this country. I never have. I am an American not due to an accident of birth but a conscious decision. This is my country I chose it. I have done well by it and it has done well by me. It is not perfect but it is based on ideals that I support. I love this country.
Iran – it is the country of my birth. Love its history, culture, and food. It is a land of my parents and my ancestors. Love the warmth and hospitality of its people. I wish them freedom of choice and means to express it. They are our brothers and sisters.
I am an unapologetic (in fact quite proud) Iranian-American and will strive to stand up for my rights and that of my community in the country that I love. I do not consider myself “Second Class Citizen” nor do I like that label. You say it often enough and you will become so.
Author: ِDr. Firouz Naderi
Source: Click Here
This Saturday April 11th, See Ali Ghambari the founder and owner of Cherry Street Coffee House speak at TEDxKirkland. Ghambari is also the founder of Seattle’s IACA – the Iranian American Community Alliance, which promotes unity, diversity, and community by focusing on cultural and educational programs, like the Seattle Iranian Festival, and youth and leadership development through community service. Ghambari contributes his success to his belief in, and love for, his community.
To get your ticket >> Click here
Happy Nowruz to you and families!
Senator Habib and Mr. Hossein Khorram have arranged with Senate Democrates and Republications so we could be at the Washington Senate witnessing passage of recognition of Nowruz in Washington State.
It is recommend to join this delegation to witness this historic moment in Olympia inside the Senate this April 9nd 2015, at 10AM.
برگی دگر از تقویم گیتی ورق خورد و صفحه ای نو گشوده شد تا بار دگر روزها گذر خویش را نمایان سازد. سپیدی برگ نو این تقویم چشم انداز است. دست تقدیر دست نوشته هایی به جا گذارده، اما آنچه که هنوز خالی از کلمات است آن است که ما باید با قلم خویش ادامه داستان زندگی مان را بر آن بنگاریم.
آرزو می کنم قلم تقدیر بسان اسبی رهوار بر لوح سپید این تقویم بتازد و با جوهر زرین عشق برای شما سلامت و ثروت در هر روزش بنگارد و امید آن دارم شما نیز جمله هایی بنگارید که لبریز از امید، شادی و عشق شما به زندگی باشد
نوروز باستانی و فرا رسیدن سال نو بر شما و همه کسانی که دوستشان دارید و دوستتان دارند فرخنده و پیروز باد
کیانوش مرادیان – مدیر وبسایت
30% discount on beauty services for all Iranian girls in Seattle. Call to make appointment at 206-351-3332
*Promition expires on Friday 20th April 2015
IACA Board of Directors is looking to add one more member to the leadership team!
We are looking for young and energetic professional that is passionate about the Iranian-American community, has great communication skills, and can work in a team setting while taking leadership on certain tasks. The selected board member will start as an interim member for the first year, then the rest of IACA board will decide upon making this board member’s position a permanent one.The current IACA Board Members are: Ali Ghambari, Rozita Ghaderi, and Ali Rezaeian. Mahta Ahmadnia will be joining the leadership team as of January 2015, therefore we are seeking one more individual to make the team complete for the 2015-2016 year.
Go to the following link to fill out the online form, attach your resume along with a cover letter:
Board Member Position Applicatio
If you have any questions e-mail your inquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org
16th June 2014 – 12:00PM : Iran Vs Nigeria
21st June 2014 – 9:00 AM : Iran Vs Argentina
25th June 2014 – 9:00 AM : Iran Vs Bosnia-Herz
Head Coach: Carlos Queiroz
Captain: Javad Nekounam
Goalkeepers: Daniel Davari (Eintracht Braunschweig), Alireza Haghighi (Sporting Covilha, on loan from Rubin Kazan), Rahman Ahmadi (Sepahan).
Defenders: Hossein Mahini (Persepolis), Steven Beitashour (Vancouver Whitecaps), Pejman Montazeri (Umm Salal), Jalal Hosseini (Persepolis), Amir-Hossein Sadeghi (Esteghlal), Ahmad Alenemeh (Naft), Hashem Beikzadeh (Esteghlal), Mehrdad Pouladi (Persepolis).
Midfielders: Javad Nekounam (Kuwait SC), Andranik Teymourian (Esteghlal), Reza Haghighi (Persepolis), Ghasem Haddadifar (Zob Ahan), Bakhtiar Rahmani (Foolad), Ehsan Hajsafi (Sepahan).
Forwards: Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham), Masoud Shojaei (Las Palmas), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (NEC Nijmegen), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Charlton), Karim Ansarifard (Tractor Saz, on loan from Persepolis), Khosro Heydari (Esteghlal).
Film is a powerful art form, and it is the experiences SIFF is with film that can transform our lives. SIFF does just that: their mission is to create experiences that bring people together to discover extraordinary films from around the world. It is through the art of cinema that they foster a community that is more informed, aware, and alive.
Fifi Howls from Happiness
Iran | 2013 | 96 minutes | Mitra Farahani
In the time of the Shah, Iranian artist Bahman Mohasses’ salacious sculpture and paintings were often censored. Director Mitra Farahani finds him in Rome, irascible as ever, tackling his “final commission” with verve and wit.
Fish & Cat
Iran | 2013 | 134 minutes | Shahram Mokri
Bold innovation defines Shahram Mokri’s dazzling drama about a group of university students who encounter mysterious rural locals on their vacation. A single, two-hour shot tracks an elliptical narrative that blurs the lines between the stalker and the stalked.
Manuscripts Don’t Burn
Iran | 2013 | 127 minutes | Mohammad Rasoulof
In this gripping political thriller, Mohammad Rasoulof defies a 20-year ban on filmmaking to tell the true story of two government assassins tasked with eliminating 21 dissident writers and journalists.
For more details and show time please check the link bellow: